I’ve tried and failed so many times to make my own granola.
To be fair, I’ve never taken the process that seriously. Quite often simply stirring up a bunch of oats with a few almonds, coconut oil and honey, shoving it all in the oven and hoping for the best. Each time I’d somehow expect a different outcome, but without fail I’d end up with a flavourless, sometimes-burnt mix that’s only destiny was to be thrown directly in the bin.
Seeing as my oven-made granola was turning out to be a failure, I thought I’d give making it on the hob a go; turns out, I wildly prefer this method. Here you’re totally in control, able to watch over the mix to prevent it burning and only adding in ingredients exactly when they need to be added.
This granola recipe is a gloriously nutty, cinnamony mix (the smell while cooking is just heavenly), the addition of goji berries giving the perfect amount of chew. Enjoy!
Almond, Cinnamon and Goji Berry Granola Recipe
– 1 cup rolled oats
– ½ tsp salt
– 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
– 2 tbsp agave syrup
– ½ cup flaked almonds
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– ¼ cup goji berries
1. Heat a large pan over a low temperature before adding your oats and letting them start to toast for a couple of minutes.
2. Add the melted coconut oil and salt and stir thoroughly. Continue to toast the oats for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the agave syrup and stir to evenly coat the mixture, again toasting/stirring for a further 5 minutes.
4. Once the oats are looking fairly toasted, add the almonds and cinnamon, toasting for yet another 5 minutes, watching carefully and stirring to ensure even cooking/prevent burning.
5. Remove from the pan before mixing in the goji berries.
6. Let the granola cool before popping it in a jar and enjoying with your next bowl of yoghurt (if you manage to resist eating it all straight from the pan!).