Hey guys! The new year is thoroughly upon us at this point, and what better way to celebrate this fresh start than with an even fresher cocktail?
Cocktail-making has been on my to-do/wish list for as long as I can remember, and since my decision that 2018 will be the year of just doing it, what better time to share a cocktail recipe?!
Here we’re talking sweet-tart white grapefruit paired with woody rosemary, mixed with gin and topped up with bubbles. The recipe requires a simple syrup, so I’ll scribble down how to make that first, then go ahead with the cocktail. Enjoy!
P.S. This gin fizz was going to be made with blood oranges, but they didn’t have any when I went shopping, so I switched to pink grapefruit but then when I got home I realised I’d picked up white grapefruit by mistake… must pay more attention (but I think it paid off).
Rosemary Simple Syrup
– 1 cup water
– 1 cup sugar
– 4 sprigs’ worth of fresh rosemary leaves
1. In a small saucepan combine all ingredients and, over a medium heat, stir continuously until the sugar has dissolved.
2. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely before straining into a jar or bottle for storage. Keep refrigerated for up to two weeks.
White Grapefruit and Rosemary Gin Fizz
Ingredients, makes 2 cocktails
– 50ml gin
– 1 white grapefruit (for juice and garnish)
– 100ml rosemary simple syrup (method below)
– 2 rosemary sprigs
– splash of prosecco/cava/champagne
1. Add gin, juice of the grapefruit (save a couple of slices for garnish) and rosemary syrup to a cocktail mixer with ice and stir.
2. Using a strainer, pour the drink evenly between two glasses filled with fresh ice.
3. Top with a splash of your chosen bubbles and garnish with a rosemary sprig and slice of white grapefruit.